Because of this other reservation, we will have no practice this Sunday, 11/1. Please pass this information along to anyone who may not have received it. Thank you!
Photos from the Aileen Primero 2015 Tournament are online on our facebook page. The photos are public so you don’t need to have a facebook account to view them. Many thanks to everyone at the UA Badminton Club for hosting a wonderful tournament. Many say it was the best one yet, well done Nico, Abhishek and the badz team. We will keep you posted for the next tournament!
The UA Badminton Club is proud to pair with the Alpha Phi Gamma Sorority to be hosting the Aileen Primero Memorial Tournament once again. After the wait, the time has arrived! We are only a short way away from the tournament this Saturday, October 17th. Thank you to all who signed-up for the tournament. Registration is now closed. It looks like this is shaping up to be one of our largest tournaments yet! Since we are so close to the tournament, we would like to give a general overview of how the tournament will progress and the rules.
Please arrive at the gym by 8:30 AM. It is imperative that you arrive by this time so that everyone can sign-in and pay their tournament fees before the games begin.
Opening words will be said at 8:50, and games will begin at 9:00 AM. Due to the volume of participants, the schedule is tight, so we will not delay in beginning. We will need your help in keeping the games going without delay.
We have had to alter the game system in the interest of time and competition as well. All divisions other than women’s doubles will be played in a “consolation bracket” style. Women’s doubles, however, will keep the same “round robin” format that we have had in the past.
For these competitions, all games will be played to 30 points. This means that the first team to reach 30 points will win. There is NO “win by two” rule: if a team reaches 30 points, the match is finished and that team is the victor. For champion games, however, we will play a best of 3 series, using the standard 21 rally point scoring system.
Lunch will begin at 12:00 PM and will go through 12:45 PM. Fry’s sandwiches, Eegee’s, and assorted snacks will be served. We have games scheduled to begin again at 1 PM, so be sure to fuel up and be ready to play before this time!
Due to the volume of participants, this is bound to be a busy tournament all day long, so please work with the club officers to help facilitate play! It’s bound to be a competitive, fun time, so bring your A game!
UA Badminton Club Officers
We are happy to announce that Aileen Primero Tournament 2015 is scheduled for October 17th. Start looking for a partner for the tournament. We plan to have Men’s Doubles, Mixed Doubles, and Women’s Doubles groups for the tournament. We are hoping to do two tiers of each division (intermediate and advanced), so please encourage your friends to come and let’s make this tournament a great one! Also, please be sure to register for the tournament by October 17th. Prices and registration is via the tournament form, so please fill it out and get it back to us ASAP. Just in case if you are not able to find a partner we will try to match you with other interested player but no guarantees on that. Please see attached tournament form for more detail and for contact information.
There will be a tournament at the University of Arizona. All players are welcome of any skill level and there is no age restriction. You do not need to be a member of the University to enter and can pay your fee on the day in person.
Tournament date: June 28th, 2014 (Saturday)
Tournament venue: UofA Student Recreation Center
1400 E. 6th St, Tucson, Arizona 85719
Contact Person: Sierra F (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fees per player: $20 = one event. $25 = two events.
Fee includes shuttles for all matches (round robin guarantees >3 matches per division given enough entrants), refreshment, and lunch.
Men’s Intermediate Doubles
Men’s Advanced Doubles
Format: Round robin followed by single elimination of the top 2 seeds in each division. If there is only 1 division, format will be round robin followed by the final between the top two teams. Each match will be one game rally scoring to 30 points, win by 2, or a maximum of 40 points, change sides at 16.
1. Dates: See Schedule Below
2. Hosted by: Tucson Badminton Club
3. Venue: University of Arizona, Student Recreation Center
• Age Category
o 35+ Junior Senior
o 40+ Senior I
o 45+ Senior II
o 50+ Master I
o 55+ Master II
o 60+ Grand Master I
o 65+ Grand Master II
o 70+ Golden Master I
o 75+ Golden Master II
o 80+ Platinum Master
• Players are eligible for an age group provided they are 35+, 40+, 45+ etc. years of age by March 19, 2014.
• Men – Entries are limited to 4 events for MS, MD, WD, and XD.
• Women – This limitation does not apply to women players.
• If there are not enough entries in an event, the Tournament Director shall combine events.
The 75+ age event will be offered at the tournament. This event would be in addition to the age groups already established in this sanctioned tournament. That would mean additional court time for the 75+ age group in which all 75+ players who wish to participate will be included. Because this will be an exhibition event, no entry fee will be charged for participation. The exact format of the event and players included has not yet been established. The official format will be determined by the USAB tournament committee with input from the U.S.A.B. Masters Advisory Council and Masters players.
Wednesday March 19 3:30 PM – 6:30 PM Practice at venue
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM Registration at host hotel & welcome party
Thursday March 20 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM Registration at venue
9:00 AM – 10:00 PM 55+ and older age groups
Friday March 21 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM Registration at venue
8:30 AM – 6:00 PM All age groups – 35+ to 50+ begin
Friday March 21 6:30PM – 9:00PM Dinner & drinks, Awards
Saturday March 22 8:30 AM – 10:00 PM All age groups
6. Tournament Contacts:
• Tournament Director
o Dudley Chen
o Cell: 305.903.2407
o Email: email@example.com
• Tucson Badminton Club
o Richard Alexander
o Phone: 520-405-9311
o Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. How to Enter; the Deadline, and the Fee:
• The Tucson Badminton Club is implementing online entry for this tournament.
• Players who intend to register for this tournament have a working email in order to receive an email confirming your entry and payment.
• Entry Deadline: The entry deadline is Friday, February 28 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain Standard Time. NO late entry will be accepted.
• Tournament Fees:
The organizers are charging the following fees:
o USAB Administration Fee – $15 per player (non-refundable)
o There is a $5.00 USAB Tournament Officials Fee for each entry
o Entry Fee – $30.00 per player per event (4 events maximum per person).
• Payment: Entry fee may be paid online or by check made out to: Tucson Senior National Badminton
Lorna M Hunter
11878 N Crescendo Dr.
Tucson, AZ 85737
Confirmation of Entry & Payment: • Registering players will receive an email confirmation generated by Tournament Software and it will include:
o events entered
o and for doubles, partners selected
o as well as the amount paid online by the registrant only (each doubles pair must register separately)
• Receipt of the email confirming your entry and payment is the conclusive evidence that you submitted your entry before the deadline.
• If a player has problems with the online entry, he/she should contact Richard Alexander 520-405-9311 and/or by email@example.com
To sign up go to Tournament Software and/or click on this link:
• Players should take note that they must be USAB members at the time of registering. To check your membership status or to join click here: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Badminton/Membership/Join-or-Renew
• Following the close of entries on Friday February 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM MST (Mountain Time, which is the USAB National Office time), the entries shall be deemed to be closed. After entering online, the player should print out the email confirmation receipt of their entry. It is up to the players to contact the Tournament Director and/or Richard Alexander if they wish to verify that their entry information was processed correctly.
(1) Dudley Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or call 305.903.2407
(2) Richard Alexander email@example.com and/or call 520-405-9311
• Entries for doubles events must be received from both players of the doubles team/pair for the entry to be accepted or you may request a partner.
8. Doubles and Mixed Doubles:
• When entering in Doubles and/or Mixed Doubles, it is advisable that the registering player knows:
o that the partner has a current USAB membership
o the partner’s USAB Number # (this is to assist online entry as there could other USAB members with the
• Both players of a pair must register (enter and pay entry fee) separately.
• Once a player has been “selected”, the system will not allow the “selected player” to be chosen by another registrant.
• The partnership becomes valid only when both players have registered successfully.
• Partner Request Option
o If a player requires a partner for Doubles or Mixed Doubles, he/she (the requesting player) may select the “Partner Request Option.”
o The Tournament Director has the discretion to enter the requesting player in any event.
• Withdrawals must be done by email to Dudley Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org, and copied to Richard Alexander at email@example.com by Thursday March 6, 2014 at 11:59PM MST. For withdrawals done before this deadline, USAB and/or organizer will:
o refund the Entry Fees and the Dinner payment
o forfeit the Admin Fee ($15).
• For withdrawals done after the entry deadline Thursday March 6, 2014 at 11:59PM MST, USAB and/or organizer will:
o NO refund on any of the fees (Admin Fee, Umpire Fee and Entry Fees)
o refund the Dinner Payment
10. Regulations, Seedings, Draw and Shuttles
• This tournament will be held under the rules and regulations of USAB and BWF.
• The BWF 3 x 21 Rally Points Scoring System shall be used.
• All players at this tournament are advised that their clothing and advertising must conform to BWF regulations.
• Seeding will be based on the USAB Senior Rankings.
The draw will be conducted by the Tournament Director and/or the Referee. The draw will be published on the Tournament Software website at: http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=A3CC003F-8183-4E0B-A584-6829D788AAF4
• Yonex feather shuttles will be used for this tournament.
• T-Shirt will be part of the admin fee.
• Please check your T-shirt size when you place the order. S,M,L,XL,XXL
12. Tournament Dinner:
• There will be a Tournament Dinner at the El Molinito Mexican Restaurant on Friday evening March 21, 2014.
• The dinner charge is $25 per person
• As seating is limited, it is recommended that interested participants confirm the number of people for the dinner and make the payment at the time of entering for the tournament.
• If the player decides to request to participate in the dinner after the tournament entry deadline, he/she should contact the Richard Alexander at 520-405-9311 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Lorna Hunter at the venue.
13. Host Hotel:
DoubleTree by Hilton
445 S. Alvernon Way
• For reservations, call 520-881-4200
• Room rates: (ask for the badminton group rate):
o Single – $99 per night
o Double – $99 per night
• This rate is honored until March 3, 2014 and includes breakfast.
• Airport-Hotel-Airport : Discount offered by host hotel (and possibly other hotels)
• Hotel-Venue-Hotel : Limited free shuttle available
• Airport-Hotel-Airport : Discount offered by host hotel (and possibly other hotels)
Friday: 6pm-10pm (North Gym- 2 courts)
Sunday: 10am-12pm (North Gym- 2 courts)
Thankfully, these are the same hours as usual.
Our first official day back is 1/17, so I’m looking forward to seeing everyone return!
This Sunday (1/12) however, the Rec Center is closed all-day for employee training, so get your badminton tonight from 6-10pm!
On another note, umpire training is tentatively set for 1/24 and 1/31 in one of the Rec Center conference rooms. More information will be sent out later.
I was notified yesterday that the official last day for all club practices was Wednesday December 11th. This means we do not have any more reservations on the courts during our practice times (Friday and Sunday).
However, I called the Rec Center, and they said we can still show up and play tomorrow and Sunday as usual. Since we do not have “official” reservations of the basketball courts, I would encourage only setting up nets that will be used.
That being said, during winter break, we can still use the gym for badminton, but we again won’t have official reservations for the courts so practice space is not guaranteed. I don’t believe this will be a problem since the dorms close during winter break as well.
Rec center will be closed: December 24th-January 1st.
*Rec center winter break (December 21st-January 12th) hours:*
Friday- Close at 10pm (instead of 11pm)